WE™ Essay Contest Rules & Regulations
THE WE CONFERENCE™ ESSAY CONTEST
Official Rules and Regulations
1. How to enter: This contest begins on August 1, 2011 and ends on September 5, 2011. To enter online, send your typed, double-spaced submission not to exceed 1,500 words, preferably in a Microsoft Word document saved as a .doc file (not .docx) as an email attachment to myessay@theWEconference.com. Limit one entry per person or e-mail account. Essays should be submitted in English at a maximum of 1,500 words and typed and double-spaced. Essays exceeding this length or handwritten may not be considered. In the body of the email submission to which your entry is attached, please include your name, telephone number, (please indicate if your phone number receives text messages), email address, mailing address, date of birth, occupation, how you heard about The WE Conference™, and how winning the essay contest will make a difference in your life. In addition to the essay attached to the email submission, please also attach a current .jpg color headshot photo of yourself at least 300 dpi. The WE Conference™ is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, or incomplete entries; or entries not received for any reason. By entering, Entrant warrants that his or her entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual-property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium, and (3) has not won an award.
2. Judging: All entries will be judged by a committee of judges chosen by The WE Conference™, based on the following criteria: originality (25 percent), creativity (25 percent), use of language (25 percent), and appropriateness to contest theme (25 percent). Incomplete or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualification. Decisions of judges are final and binding. Winner will be notified by telephone or e-mail after September 5, 2011. Names will also be published on www.theWEconference.com and will be published in the program for The WE Conference™ Symposium (October 1, 2011 Irvine, California).
3. Eligibility: Open to all persons, age 18 or older at time of entry (“Entrant(s)”). Void where prohibited by law. Persons affiliated with The WE Conference™ as employees, contractors, and members of their immediate families are not eligible.
4. Prize description: The first-place winner will receive two (2) full paid VIP registrations to The WE Conference™ Symposium (October 1, 2011 Irvine, California) (valued at $398) including lunch, recognition at the event and presentation of a non-cash award, and recognition on www.theWEconference.com and in select written materials published by The WE Conference™. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. THE PRIZES ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE.
5. Conditions of participation: By entering, Entrant represents that any essay, etc., and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s contest entry are original and will not constitute defamation or an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such essay. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to The WE Conference™ a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, and republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant’s submitted essay, along with Entrant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional, or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice, or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and, where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and confirmation of a license as set forth above within 7 days following the date of first attempted notification, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the essay and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate winner. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner’s name and likeness, biographical information, essay, and other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering or accepting prize, Entrants and Winners agree to hold and assign Sponsor and its promotional partners, directors, officers, and employees harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property, relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and subsequent use or misuse or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner, if either commits or has committed any act or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, Entrant, or Winner to ridicule, scandal, or contempt or which reflects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a winner has received notice of his/her prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulfilled. Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize. Before submission, please review your entry carefully as no changes to content may be made once the entry has been received. Sponsor may make spelling or grammatical changes to essay, based on its sole discretion. Entries that are deemed to have plagiarized other original work will be disqualified.
6. Internet: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries or for electronic-transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone-equipment, electronic, computer, hardware, or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof.
7. Governing law: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the State of California without regard to principles of conflict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of California, without recourse to class-action suits.
8. Severability: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
9. Winner Identity: For name of Winner, available after October 1, 2011, log on to www.theWEconference.com/?page_id=997 where the name of the Winner will be available for a period of 60 days.
10. Sponsor: The Sponsor of this Contest is The WE Conference™, 23041 Mill Creek Drive, Laguna Hills, CA 92653.